Coldstream Hills Deer Farm Chardonnay 2020

Share

A single vineyard Chardonnay from this prized Upper Yarra gem. It was Halliday himself who first started the tradition of single vineyard wines at Coldstream Hills, no doubt inspired by his great love for top Burgundies. This is actually from a small sector of the vineyard – specifically, the Gladysdale Blocks: C East & E Vines, which were planted in 1994 with Clone: I10V1. The blocks are south and north facing respectively. This Chardonnay was fermented and then matured on lees for a period of nine months in French oak, 52% of which was new. The remaining 48% was in seasoned barriques and puncheons.

Green gold colour here. It is immediately apparent that this wine has the DNA of both the Yarra Valley (Upper) and of Coldstream Hills itself. Good concentration of peach and stonefruit, juicy citrus notes, with citrusy acidity. There is more intensity here than in the standard Yarra bottling but it remains understated, giving us a wine of elegance, focus and class. There is ideal oak integration, seamless in style and with excellent fruit persistence; there is much to like here. A Chardonnay that will easily cellar and improve for the next 6 to 8 years.

Wines You Might Also Like

Artis Pinot Noir 2021

A very fine Pinot from a single vineyard, the Jupiter Springs Vineyard, in the Kuitpo sub-region of the Adelaide Hills. 25 year old vines with

Read More »
Welcome to Winepilot.com

Sign up now to drink better everyday.