Harewood Estate Mount Barker Riesling 2022

Another from the Harewood Riesling collection which steps up on last year’s superb offering. This is seriously good by any standards. As is usual, we are talking about a wine from a single vineyard in the Mt Barker region, made from free run juice with a long, cool ferment in stainless steel. The colour is a very pale

Read More »

Harewood Estate Mount Barker Riesling 2022

Another from the Harewood Riesling collection which steps up on last year’s superb offering. This is seriously good by any standards. As is usual, we are talking about a wine from a single vineyard in the Mt Barker region, made from free run juice with a long, cool ferment in stainless steel. The colour is a very pale

Read More »

Looking for something special? Here are our picks and favourite drinks to suit every occasion. From midweek wines and casual catchups through to the biggest events, here you will find new favourites at every price that are guaranteed to help you drink better everyday.

Head Wines The Blonde Shiraz 2020

Loved this blend of 92% Shiraz with 8% Cabernet Sauvignon, a 50/50 split from the Barossa and Eden Valleys including a portion from vines planted in 1890. Excellent complexity and composure as it displays rich wells of soy sauce, roasted meat, blackberry and clove spice aromas that retain good focus. There is then an impressive mix of juicy fruit flavours in the dark and red cherry spectrum well supported by a firm base of tannins before opening out to a richly flavoured finish. A lovely wine that will age well.

Read More »

Head Wines The Blonde Shiraz 2020

Loved this blend of 92% Shiraz with 8% Cabernet Sauvignon, a 50/50 split from the Barossa and Eden Valleys including a portion from vines planted in 1890. Excellent complexity and composure as it displays rich wells of soy sauce, roasted meat, blackberry and clove spice aromas that retain good focus. There is then an impressive mix of juicy fruit flavours in the dark and red cherry spectrum well supported by a firm base of tannins before opening out to a richly flavoured finish. A lovely wine that will age well.

Read More »

More than just reviews, get the inside story on our favourite winemakers, brewers, distilleries, wineries and regions, and what makes them special. You’ll never look at wine, beer and spirits the same way again.

Penfolds Grange Guide 1951-2018

This eJournal explores the complete history of Penfolds Grange. For the first time ever, Andrew Caillard MW, the leading expert on Penfolds, has published his personal anecdotes, reviews and current tasting notes of every vintage from 1951 to 2018. Penfolds Grange – The Definitive Guide 1951-2018

Read More »

Penfolds Grange Guide 1951-2018

This eJournal explores the complete history of Penfolds Grange. For the first time ever, Andrew Caillard MW, the leading expert on Penfolds, has published his personal anecdotes, reviews and current tasting notes of every vintage from 1951 to 2018. Penfolds Grange – The Definitive Guide 1951-2018

Read More »

Every week there are hundreds of new Australian wines hitting shelves and winelists around the world. Here is our regular update on what’s new from the biggest brands right down to the smallest boutique winemakers.

Harewood Estate Mount Barker Riesling 2022

Another from the Harewood Riesling collection which steps up on last year’s superb offering. This is seriously good by any standards. As is usual, we are talking about a wine from a single vineyard in the Mt Barker region, made from free run juice with a long, cool ferment in stainless steel. The colour is a very pale watery lemon. The fragrances delicate, almost ethereal – spices, florals, citrus, with a note of river stones. This is balanced and focused, a Riesling of poise, which dances across the palate, and yet there is no lack of power. Finely crafted with

Read More »

Harewood Estate Museum Release Porongurup Riesling 2022

If one question remains over Porongurup Riesling it is their cellaring potential. Will that firm acidity open up to reveal layers of flavour? Well the answer is yes as displayed by this Museum Release from James Kellie, which is drinking superbly at 9 years of age. Still quite youthful in colour, it has retained its vibrancy and freshness with those youthful pristine aromas now filling out into more lime marmalade, with touches of honey and toast. It’s then textural and fresh, with fine acidity very well integrated into a complex package before it delivers a lengthy finish. A great example

Read More »

Kiwi winemakers are now crafting some of the greatest wines on the planet. Our team in Australia and New Zealand hunt down the best new releases from right around the country to share with you.

Deep Down Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2021

An English wine writer famously once described Marlborough sauvignon blanc as tasting like ‘a bungee jump into a gooseberry bush.’ The evocative mental picture came back to me when I jumped into the 2021 Deep Down Marlborough sauvignon blanc. It immediately recalled the original style that first put Marlborough sauvignon blanc on the winemaking map, one of utter over-the-top, sing-out-loud herbaceousness. It’s all right here: sweet grassy fragrance, asparagus, lemongrass, dill, snow pea and, yes, gooseberry. A well-made, vibrant and super fresh sauvignon. In keeping with the New Zealand taste for a touch of sugar in their white wines, a

Read More »

Deep Down Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2021

An English wine writer famously once described Marlborough sauvignon blanc as tasting like ‘a bungee jump into a gooseberry bush.’ The evocative mental picture came back to me when I jumped into the 2021 Deep Down Marlborough sauvignon blanc. It immediately recalled the original style that first put Marlborough sauvignon blanc on the winemaking map, one of utter over-the-top, sing-out-loud herbaceousness. It’s all right here: sweet grassy fragrance, asparagus, lemongrass, dill, snow pea and, yes, gooseberry. A well-made, vibrant and super fresh sauvignon. In keeping with the New Zealand taste for a touch of sugar in their white wines, a

Read More »

Looking for a change? Then let us guide you through the world of wine with our International new releases. We’ve got reviews and stories on everything from bargain supermarket picks right through to international icons.

Feudo Arancio Riserva 2018

This producer’s top red comes from a couple of varying vineyards (their estate vineyards at Ragusa and Agrigento), with the aim to provide contrast and complexity. Made from Nero d’Avola, 70% spends eight to ten months in French oak, with the remaining 30% aged in stainless steel, to help emphasise the fruit. Fermentation was for 10 to 12 days. After blending, the wine spends a short period in stainless steel and is then aged for another year in bottle before release. The wine is deep red/garnet in colour. The nose is immediately expressive with notes of cherries, warm earth, tobacco

Read More »

Feudo Arancio Riserva 2018

This producer’s top red comes from a couple of varying vineyards (their estate vineyards at Ragusa and Agrigento), with the aim to provide contrast and complexity. Made from Nero d’Avola, 70% spends eight to ten months in French oak, with the remaining 30% aged in stainless steel, to help emphasise the fruit. Fermentation was for 10 to 12 days. After blending, the wine spends a short period in stainless steel and is then aged for another year in bottle before release. The wine is deep red/garnet in colour. The nose is immediately expressive with notes of cherries, warm earth, tobacco

Read More »
Welcome to Winepilot.com

Sign up now to drink better everyday.